This is Mel, my father in law. He was cutting the ham, obviously did not want to get dirty, so put on Ruth's pretty pink apron. He looked very cute.
This is some of the gang, patiently waiting for dinner.
That was all the pictures I got of that weekend.
The following weekend was Easter. We went up to Idaho. Not Rexburg, but Albion. I'm sure you have never heard of that town, because it is literally in the middle of no where. Our cousin, Spencer, came home from his mission, and had his homecoming talk the same weekend. So all the family headed up to Albion. Now- I am going to give a little background of Albion, Idaho. My Aunt and Uncle have lived there ever since I was little, so we spent a lot of time in Albion, and had some amazing Easter egg hunts. Well, there is this old, old campus up in Albion, right around the corner from my Aunt and Uncle's house. This campus was a teaching campus, where students would go to get their teaching degree. I don't know a lot of the history behind this place, but it has been abandoned for many, many years. When we would go visit, we would sneak up there late at night with our cousins, and they would give us a tour of the campus. You had to sneak in through the boarded up windows and doors. There is an old auditorium, where all the chairs and stage are still intact. There is a gymnasium with a panther still on the hard wood floor and a track on the upper portian of the gym, the classrooms still have desks in them, and books used to be still lying around the floors. The men and womens dorms still have bed frames and wall paper in the rooms. (Rumor has it, a lady hung herself in the womens dorms.... Scary). There is a mess hall with ovens and giant mixers still in the kitchen. So that is a little history of this campus. I don't know what happend to the place. I heard it is just in the middle of no where, and not enough people came to school there. It is still really weird how the place was just abandoned. Well, a family bought the campus, and is re-vamping one building at a time. They are turning it into a "re-treat" area. You can have family reunions etc. there. They have only done the one building and that is where we stayed Easter weekend. I was not thrilled at first, thinking of all the haunted stories I have heard, but I was wrong. The place is amazing. The building has been restored, some of the original brick is still inside the building. They have about 16-18 rooms, a giant kitchen area, game room, a hot tub outside, a little pool, and horseshoe pitts, (yes, Albion has its own horseshoe tournament, which is taken very serious). The only wierd thing is someone is keeping their chicken/rooster farm behind one of the buildings. There are tons and tons of roosters and chickens. The kids loved them. Me, not so much, kind of gross. So overall, the place was great. I recommend it to anyone. We stayed up late, reading and telling scary stories about the campus. It was good times.
Well, Easter was fun. We dyed eggs, the Easter Bunny came to the kids, went to the homecoming. Spencer, my cousin, did great! He is an amazing kid and served an amazing mission. We had some good food, and a great egg hunt. I loved being with the family, aunts, uncles, and cousins. The Mendenhall family is awesome. It's always a party whe we get together!!
This is the old campus. Seriously, look at the building, the tree, the clouds. You can't tell me that doesn't look a little scary. That is not the building we stayed in. Just one of the old ones.
Sage on some stone thing. I don't know what it is, and she was not happy being up there.
This is behind on of the old buildings where all of the chickens/roosters live. Crazy.... they just walk around the campus. One more reason it is a little creepy.
2 comments:
I know exactly where Albion is!! Your post brought back lots of memories. My mom lived there until she was 13 so we have driven through there a few times and have had a couple of family reunions in Albion as well. When I was in college at USU we hung out with a bunch of guys from Declo (they were friends with Kelly and Derik too). One weekend we went up to that campus and snuck into that auditorium. The guys had staged a sayance and scared the crap out of us. Good times! Glad to see that they are doing something with those beautiful buildings.
MICHELL, YOUR GREAT, GREAT AUNT GRADUATED FROM THE OLD ALBION COLLEGE. SHE MADE THE CEDAR CHEST THAT YOUR MOM HAS UP THERE IN 1903. WHEN I WAS IN HIGHSCHOOL WE HAD A ROLLER SKATING TEAM AND WE WENT TO ALBION AND SKATED FOR THE COLLEGE IN THAT OLD GYM. GOOD MEMORIES. LOVE YA, GRAMS
Post a Comment