Saturday, May 1, 2010

William Buchanan (Cam's Grandpa)

William Buchanan
1916- April 23, 2010
Cam's Grandpa passed away on Friday, April 23, 2010. He was 93, was a great man, and lived a great life. His funeral was this past Friday. We went up to Salt Lake on Thursday night for the viewing, and stayed up there for the funeral. I learned so much about his history and his life that night, while talking to Cam's family. He was born in Scotland, and married Cam's Grandma Lois, whom was from Wales. They came over to American on Christmas Day in 1947. I knew that his grandpa was Scottish, but I guess I never really knew how significant it was. The plaid you see in the kilt Cam is wearing below is the Buchanan Tartan. You see, every Scottish name has its own color or its own plaid. So the one Cam has on is the actual Buchanan one. I never knew any of this, and I'm sure I am probally not telling this right, but it's the best I can do. The plaid that Colton is wearing is kind of like "camoflauge" in Scottish language. They wear that color when they go to war. Is any of this making sense? It really is pretty cool. So that is a little bit of history in a nutshell.

Well, being Scottish and all- you get the whole nine yards with the Buchanan Family. There were bag pipes, kilts, Scottish Songs and Poems, and thick Scottish accents. It was one of the most powerful funerals I have ever attended.
After the family prayer, bag pipes were being played as the casket was being led into the chapel for the funeral. I was overwhelmed and very choked up at how powerful it was. The funeral was very nice. I again learned so much of Cam's Grandpa's life, and what an amazing, spritual, loving person he was.
We then went over the the cemetary. Cam and his cousins were the pallbearers. Cam and his cousin both wearing kilts, lead the casket to the burial site. I had never seen anything so cool, as those two in their kilts, carrying their Grandpa. I'm sure he was so proud. There was a slight drizzle of rain. Everyone was saying that is exactly how it is in Scotland. It's as if that is how his Grandpa wanted it to be. He was laid to rest, to the sound of bag pipes playing, "Amazing Grace."
That song will always have a deeper meaning to me now, and a kilt is no longer just a "plaid skirt." It has a deeper meaning. I know I'm not a Buchanan, but Cam is, and I feel like I learned a little of his history this past weekend, thanks to his Grandpa. We lost a great man, but I feel like I gained so much more.

His Grandpa Bill was the type of person who would leave you with a smile after visiting with him. He showed kindness in his eyes. He was genuine. I only knew him for a few short years, but he was easy to love, and will be missed.


Cam and Colton in their Kilts. Cam's is actually his Grandpa's brothers, Fred. It is the real deal. Who knew Cam would look so hot in a Kilt. I keep telling him he needs one of his own! I loved it.




Cam's Grandma, Lois. She is a sweet, sweet lady. She too has a strong English accent, (something I have loved about his grandparents), calls you "love", and puts everyone else before herself. I've learned with death, you don't mourn for those who are gone, you mourn for those who are left behind. (That is what Cam told me). Bill and Lois were truly happy and truly knew what love was!

They looked so so handsome. I absolutely love the Kilts.



The Buchanan Clan. Really an amazing experience to be a part of.

6 comments:

The Rasmussen Family said...

Those are incredible pictures. What a sad, but special time in your lives. I hope you are all doing well and feeling peace.

Marcy Cheney said...

What a beautiful post Michelle. So sorry for Cams' loss, but what an amazing legacy he left for the family. Kev has a kilt from his mission days in Scotland...and after seeing Cam in his, maybe Kev will have to model for me...LOL...I'm sure he wouldn't fit in it anymore. Love you guys!!

Shelly said...

I am so sorry to hear that Cam's grandpa passed away. What a great legacy he left behind.

grams said...

give cam our love. sorry that he lost his grandpa, but what a great man he must have been. your tribute to him was so nice. you married into a great family. we love you

Heather and Trevor said...

What a sweet post. We lost Trevor's Grandpa the week before THanksgiving and also had a bagpipe player send off. What a great time to reflect on memories. I loved getting your sweet comment the other day! It made my whole day! We sure miss you guys and need to come visit when we are up next. I know that Sage and Emma would love to see eachother and pick up right where they left off. Much love from us and so glad to know you are well! :)

Rasmussens said...

I am a little chocked up reading about this. That is amazing. Tell Cam I love the Kilt. I will no longer look at them the same again. Love you guys.