Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A grateful, patriotic, humbling, thankful kind of day.

2.5.2014


A few days ago, a county sheriff srgt. was shot and killed. Another was shot and wounded. The shooter was shot and killed.

The Srgt. killed was from Spanish Fork. I've worked in Spanish Fork for 14+ years. I've grown to love the town and the people. I did not know Srgt. Wride, but I know many people who did.

Today was his funeral. I was at work, Reese was with me, along with a couple of co-workers. 

The streets were lined wth flags, and blue ribbons tied around all trees and posts.
People started to line the streets. So many people. People like me, who I'm sure didn't know him personally, just wanted to show their support. As we stood there, I watched a couple of highway patrol officers continue to salute all the officers driving by and civilians with their hands on their hearts! 
I'm not talking about a few police cars, I'm talking about hundreds! Hundreds and hundreds. There were so many.

As I tried to explain to Reese why we were watching this "parade", I was so humbled. I'm so thankful for those who serve. Those who serve our towns, our states, our country! They give so much and receive so little. I was amazed at the emotions I felt for someone whom I have never met. I feel for his family and hope they find peace during this time!

I'm always grateful for the gospel and a testimony of eternal life on days like today. I'm thankful for my family and the blessing I have on a daily basis!


1 comment:

{natalie} said...

All of the flags and police officers look amazing. I'm sure I would have been in tears if I had been there. I'm glad you had a chance to watch and honor Sgt. Wride.