This week had been in the works for a while, and we were very, very excited for it to be here!
We were going to spend the week in Idaho for one last hurrah before my folks leave for their three year mission!!
Meg's came into town on Saturday night. She stayed at our house for a few days, then we packed up and drove up to Rexburg!
Sam & Reese were asleep before we even hit Provo! Tired babies.
Meg & I thinking we're way cooler than we are.
We got home around 9. There was a little drama within the first 20 min. we were there. I'm really not surprised :). We worked through it and all was well! We ended the night with family prayer. Reese said it and prayed for us "to not be bratty". We all chuckled! Love that girl.
Wednesday.
Dad had his surgery scheduled. They were doing a scope on his knee. We knew he was dreading it. He's not the type that can sit still, does not like to be waited on, and hates all the attention on him! Tough luck Dad. You have a house full of women who were determined to make you stay down!
While we were waiting for Brooke to get into town, we went and got some balloons, made a poster and sidewalk chalk "Get Well Soon" sign, and got his favorite treats.
You know... Just teaching the girls how good giant sharpie markers smell!
Grandma and grandpa came home. Surgery went really well. Dad was in great spirits. I was glad.
We all went to hang out in the backyard. We ended up going on a walk out back along the fields. The weather was so beautiful all week long. Of course the wind blew here and there, but when doesn't it in Rexburg?
We continued to hang outside. Dad even came out.
Thursday.
We made my favorite breakfast to have when I'm home. Ebelskivers. Just cute little pancakes! Too bad you can eat a hundred of them because they're so small and delicious. We'll, maybe not a hundred, but a lot. No wonder I put on 20 pounds when I come home!
We went for a run after breakfast. There is no better place to run than Idaho. You can run on endless dirt roads and the view is awesome.
I know I really talk about how great home is, but it really is just that great! I think it's a combination of being home and being with family.
All my "special" sisters and mom!!
On the way back down, we ran into Meg and Les taking self timer pictures on the "circle". We were laughing so hard... It was hilarious trying to run through the field and hang on that line.
We came back to the girls playing on the swing sets.
It was a beautiful morning. We pulled out pools and put the sprinkler under the tramp.
We kept giving crap to dad about sitting there and not even trying to help. Hahaha. We thought we were so funny!!
We finally got ready for the day and went down to Idaho Falls for Mike and Shays softball game. We got down there plenty early, so we ordered pizza and went to play at this great park!
Someone had to keep dad company. Pretty sure we pushed him a little too hard, but he would never let us know it.
These two babies, Owen and Austin, are the cutest most well behaved babies ever.
So we went to get some snacks and we get a phone call from Mike. He needs Brooke and I to come and play. They were short two girls and would have to forfeit.
Ummm... I haven't played in years. The least they could have done is get me a shirt to wear. Geez.
We lost... Bad. But, Brooke and I killed it. We both hit and got on base each time. I actually loved it. It was a very laid back league. I'd even play again!
The kiddos playing while we played.
We went home, got the kids in bed and played games.
Friday.
We went out and did some shopping. We went to Idaho Falls, went to lunch at the usual.. Johnny Carino's, went to the Mall and Sam's club.
We also went to Porters and stocked up on fabric and other misc. items. It's sad to think we won't be to Porter's for 3 years. We really like that store!!
We found this sign for Les. The night we got home, there was a little tension and she was not having that, so she pretty much told me and Mom what was up and even dropped a few choice words!! It was hilarious and it made me like Les even more!
Dad took his bandage off while we were gone shopping. Su was not impressed, but the knee looks pretty good!
More swinging. I love watching the cousins play. I'm so glad they all get along.
That night we had a fire, hotdogs and s'mores. It was an ideal night. Such good memories at this house and this yard. I know we'll all be back, but it's hard knowing it won't be for a few years!
Saturday.
We were up pretty early in the morning, so Brooke and I went for a run. It was a beautiful morning. I did a lot of thinking about life as I ran. I am so very grateful for family. For parents who taught me how to live life to the fullest, to be thankful for all we have, to love the gospel, to not sweat the small stuff, to remember that I'm a Mendenhall, to have faith. Life gets busy. It's nice to be reminded of the important things.
Dad was getting a trim.
Thank goodness Cam was here. He kept us stocked up on caffeine!
We made tons of salads when we got back from running.
This was the biggest jar of pickles and we cut every single one of them!!
We had plenty of time before family pictures, so we all jumped in the car to head to Bear World.
Les and I taking selfies.
We were right behind the curator feeding truck. And because of that, we saw a ton of bears. They were so cute sitting there waiting for food! Fun to watch them. And they kept trying to get into Mikes truck. He had a bunch of tables and chairs in the back. They really wanted to climb on them!
Reese was not digging the bears.
Petting zoo. Again, not Reese's favorite.
They have a little amusement park at Bear world with lots of rides. The girls were loving this.
Reese could honestly slide right out of that thing.
They convinced grandma to ride with them!
We stopped at the sno shack on the way home. I'm a huge fan of shaved ice and this is by far one of my favorites. Perfect shaved ice and just enough juice.
Family photos were up next. I must say these went super smooth. There were a lot of us.
These ladies are some of my favorites. I have amazing sisters. We are so much alike, but so different. I'm lucky to have sisters who are my best friends. We just get each other.
And my sister in law, Shay, is by far the coolest. She puts up with so much from my brother and even us girls too. She fits right in.
My Sage. One of the sweetest girls around.
Mich + Cam = Forever.
I think my Dad was going to kill me when I told him we're taking a picture. I think his knee had had it.
I never heard him complain once, not once, about his knee. If anything, he was more concerned he wasn't helping enough. Hands down, best guy out there. Ever. He's one of a kind.
We went to Big Judd's for dinner. We were starving.
My "little" brother. I'm pretty sure I can still kick his trash.
Cutting up burgers. I was so hungry, I think I could have pounded one of those myself. But, I refrained.
Sunday.
The big day. President & Sister Mendenhall's farewell.
Les' face is killing me in this picture. Ha.
My Dad's brothers, Uncle Larry ans Uncle Claire, showed up before church. So nice of them to come.
This is Larry, Claire and my Dad. Some great men right there. My Uncle Billy passed away years ago. He would have loved to have been here.
Reese in her cute dress. She is darling.
The farewell was very nice. My parents are excellent speakers. And there were so many friends and family there. They had the overflow opened and were still asking people to slide in to make room for others. So nice of everyone to come and support my parents!
We hurried home to get things set up.
Mel & Ruth even came up for the farewell. I couldn't ask for better in laws. Great people.
Right before Cam was getting ready to head back to Utah with his parents.
I really can't emphasize just how much I love and how great my parents are.
Grandpa Cheney, dad and Austin.
I shouldn't take light of this situation, but I walked around the corner and Grandpa was trying to wheel Grandma through the ruff stuff. I had to run and grab Mike to help. We laughed for a while after!
Oh I could kidnap these two little guys.
After everything was cleaned up and furniture moved, we went for a walk and threw rocks into the river.
All the cousins had a sleepover that night. They had party mix and watched movies.
Monday.
The good bye day! The dreaded day.
We started packing. Mom cleaned out her pantry and sent us home with boxes of food.
We went to Grams and Gramps house to say goodbye. We had to promise them we would still come to Idaho to visit them. I'm sure we will.
We went to Millhollow to grab lunch. They have really good sandwiches and yogurt!
We went home one last time to say goodbyes.
We laughed and cried.
I can't figure out why it is so hard to be saying goodbye.
I'm not sure if it's leaving the house for 3 years... We'll be back.
I'm not sure if it's saying goodbye to my parents... I know we'll go visit.
I'm not sure if it's the thought of not seeing my sisters and brother as often... I can't imagine that happening.
I think it comes down to a combination of all of it. It's hard to leave our house to different people. There are so many memories and I absolutely love coming home. I'll miss it.
I'll miss all of us being together laughing and playing games.
I'll miss my parents. A lot. I'll miss the quick trips to Idaho or their trips to Utah. I know I'll see them, but not as often.
Being a close family has it's pros and cons. It's an absolute blast when we're together, but it's really, really hard to say goodbye. Really hard.
I'm so lucky and blessed to have them as parents. My girl are lucky to have them as grandparents.
I had so many people tell me I am just like my mother! I'll take that as a compliment.
I read once.... "Home is where your dad is." True statement.
Goodbye for now house. See you in 3 years.
Goodbye for now. There really is no place like home.




























































































1 comment:
I just laughed out loud at all our good times and then cried again as I read about our amazing weekend. Always proud to be a Mendenhall.
Post a Comment